View Single Post
Old March 18, 2011, 09:40 PM   #17
Winchester_73

Maybe you were told wrong...

Quote:
I have an idea, go out and try it and let us know how it works out.
I have an idea too, research your opinion before posting!

Quote:
Compared to brown bear attacks, violent encounters with black bears rarely lead to serious injury. However, the majority of black bear attacks tend to be motivated by hunger rather than territoriality, and thus victims have a higher probability of surviving by fighting back rather than submitting. Unlike grizzlies, female black bears do not display the same level of protectiveness to their cubs, and seldom attack humans in their vicinity.[39] The worst recorded fatality incident occurred in May 1978, in which a black bear killed three teenagers who were fishing in Algonquin Park in Canada.[69] The majority of attacks happened in national parks, usually near campgrounds, where the bears had become habituated to human contact and food.[39] 1,028 incidences of black bears acting aggressively toward people, 107 of which resulted in injury, were recorded from 1964 to 1976 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and occurred mainly in tourist hotspots where people regularly fed the bears handouts.[69]
Even though its wikipedia, the statements are cited from articles and other resources. I suppose the wiki article is wrong too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Black_Bear

Page generated in 0.03174 seconds with 8 queries