View Single Post
Old January 10, 2007, 10:00 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Oh by the way...

Don't underestimate your game animals. Deer are FAR from harmless--they can and WILL attack, given the proper circumstances.
Really? I know just about any animal from a alley cat to a Lion will fight if cornered with no way out.

As for deer...my dad has two cars inside of a few months almost totaled by deer that hit his car....yes that's what I mean't to say, THEY hit HIS car. He was driving on some backroad on two different occasions, once with a Saturn SL2 and another with a Chevy Blazer. Passed by a deer on both occasions on two different sides of the road and they panicked and ran into the side of the car. The plastic door on the passenger side of the Saturn was cracked with a piece missing. The steel back left door of the Blazer was completely pushed in and dented. Dad could hardly open the drivers door in the front. I don't know if this was the kind of attack you had in mind, but it shows that they make good living torpedos.

Quote:
If we're talking hand-to-paw combat (as it were)... well, then you got a point, sir!

But frankly, how does this come in to play when we're talking shooting animals with rifles from a distance? There's not a thing wrong with hunting with such a method, but doing so essentially negates the variable you mention. Certainly, a dangerous encounter with a bear is possible.
It's not the danger of fighting a bear that I mean (I am no Davy Crockett with a bowie knife ) To me, killing a deer is like shooting a cow (but I do understand the need for population control in hunting them...just not my interest). It's a harmless animal that minds it's own business and would do you no harm. Lions, Tigers, Bears and Ohmys are predators, things that kill livestock as well as hunt and kill people (true most predators typically don't go after people unless you them, but there are exceptions, such as the incident portrayed in the movie Ghost in the Darkness). Such an animal is something worth hunting to me and it does entail a lot more of a risk than sitting around waiting for a deer or gazelle to wander by.

Quote:
And, if you decide to hunt bear, I'd take something a bit heavier than a .357 as a backup gun--a .44 Mag loaded with 300 grain Garrett Hammerheads would probably be the lightest I'd carry.
I do have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with a 10 inch barrel...but that is a little long a barrel for a defense sidearm and I'd prefer a double action gun. The 6 inch S&W M-28 Highway Patrolman loaded with Buffalo Bore 180 gr. Heavy Magnums is the best I can do with my collection. http://www.gunblast.com/MilesFortis-...uffaloBore.htm Here is an article about said round. I've fired it....it is vicious to say the least.

Page generated in 0.04358 seconds with 8 queries