View Single Post
Old June 17, 2001, 04:34 PM   #5
Rome

DON"T SHOOT THAT RIFLE!!!!

Dear Doc,

If your M44 has the word "instructie" stamped into the stock, you should assume that it is in a non-firing condition!!!

There were many rifles used for instruction that have that stamped in the stock and usually a red stripe around the butt.

You must check everything before loading a single round in that rifle

You must check the barrel to make sure it doesn't have any plugs in it.

You must check the barrel for size, too. I recently received a rifle that was similar to yours and the barrel was bored out yet you could still chamber a round. The barrel was so bad that I could actually put the entire round up beyond the shoulder of the casing in there! I would have been disaster if I had tried to fire it. Others have written about a blockage purposely inserted in the barrel yet a round could be chambered.

Truth be told, you probably have a demonstration rifle which is only good for hanging on the wall. Figure good condition and accurate rifles sell regularly for around $60 so $15 for a "trophy" rifle isn't all that bad.

Please have a smith examine that rifle before you try shooting it. Otherwise you may be putting yourself into some danger.

Rome

Page generated in 0.02521 seconds with 8 queries