View Single Post
Old February 17, 2012, 02:30 PM   #45
Alaska444

This issue came up in my first CCW class. The instructor is a nationally known firearms expert who testifies on firearms cases quite frequently. His advice, DON'T USE RELOADS.

His reasoning is based on the type of defense costs this adds to the case. His estimate is that it will add nearly $100,000 to the case. It begins with a firearms expert observing you do your reloads and any errors you make become part of the legal record. They take these loads as well as those remaining in your weapon and do expensive ballistic tests.

In addition, the ability to corroborate your story of how far you were from the other person may not be reproducible and you can be accused of not using enough restraint since they could allege the person was further from you by powder tests than you claim.

Mas Ayoob also notes a case where a husband was convicted of murder due to light loads he made for his wife that he alleges she used to kill herself. Due to the lack of powder burns, he was convicted. Only the Lord knows the true story.

In any case, factory ammo will have their own experts and their own ballistics data for all of these things.

For me, even though I don't handload, I wouldn't use handloads for SD anyway.

Page generated in 0.03634 seconds with 8 queries