View Single Post
Old June 25, 2008, 09:35 AM   #8
a1abdj

Quote:
A long time ago I heard horror stories about how a thief with a 9-volt battery could open your safe with an electronic lock...
This isn't exactly true, especially with a UL rated lock.

Quote:
the locks are made by S&G (Liberty uses S&G electronic locks too) and S&G is the #1 lock trusted by the government to secure classified information. Granted it's not usually electronic locks, and it might be a 'lowest bidder' situation, but I'm hoping the S&G name means something.
S&G makes decent products, but have had their share of problems with the electronic locks they manufacture. The government is using a lot of electronic locks, but they are not using S&G electronics. Kaba Mas is the new #1 trusted lock, although you still see many of the S&G mechanical locks still in service.

The locks you see the government use are not the same locks that you will see on gun safes. They are a higher grade, higher rated lock built with higher standards and better materials. To give you an idea, the electronic lock on your gun safe cost $150 to $200 depending on model. The electronic lock on a government filing cabinet cost $2,000.

Quote:
I specifically wanted an electronic lock for speed of access... I figure with a 3-number dial in a stressful situation I'd probably screw it up once or twice and it might be minutes to access the safe... with the key-pad I'm thinking that should be cut down to seconds....
This is true. Many businesses at risk of a hold up have a company policy to use electronic locks on their safes. When you're nervous (with a gun to your head) it can be difficult to dial open a standard combination dial.

Quote:
The 30 minute fire protection is plenty for me since my house has a sprinkler system installed in every room. I can't imagine a fire would burn for very long. Now water damage is another story.
The fire protection offered by gun safes is very minimal, but with a sprinkler system you shouldn't have a problem at all. The safe should actually stay pretty dry under a sprinkler, as the door frame will deflect most of the water. I would be more concerned about water coming up through the bolt holes in the bottom. If you're going to be bolting the safe, shoot some silicon around the bolts before snugging them down.

Page generated in 0.02313 seconds with 8 queries