View Single Post
Old August 30, 2007, 03:08 PM   #62
BillCA

We have some very good responses and some educational dialog going on here.

RantingRedneck, Powderman, JoeBlackSpade, Lurper and MikeJoneskd get it. It looks like Tanzer and Outcast get it too.

When I talk to people buying a gun for home defense and the subject of "bump in the night" comes up, I like to use this little reminder;

Never go looking for trouble, you might find it.

If a bonafide threat exists in the house before you encounter it, your best tactic is to take a defensive position to protect yourself & family. Call the cops to deal with the BG's while you keep them away from you and your family.

There are times and circumstances that may require modifying this approach.

For instance, you may have a child in a downstairs bedroom. Or you are investigating an unidentifiable noise that doesn't sound like an intruder. Maybe it's a sound from the kitchen that makes you wonder if you forgot to close the window. Or a noise that might be an intruder or it might be the cat knocked over a few tomes in the bookcase. While checking, you discover the intruder. Retreat is an option, though I think many of us might challenge from a corner or behind some object.

Since I'm in a fairly small, single-story townhome, my actions will probably vary from yours. My basic principles are:
  1. Intruder? Defend from the bedroom, dial 911. State the problem, tell the operator I'm the pudgy gray-haired guy in my BVDs, leave line open.
  2. Focus, breathe, listen; Likely it will only be 30-90 seconds before he is visible down a short (~5 yard) hall. Focus & breathe to calm self. Listen to see if it sounds like one person or more than one.
  3. If intruder visible, deep breath and use a command voice to say STOP! DON'T MOVE!. Realize fear will make it sound like Don Knotts going through puberty!
  4. If intruder makes furtive move, approaches or makes threatening moves, remember to apologize to dispatcher for deafening noises in their earphone.
  5. If intruder "surrenders" get them prone with arms extended quickly. Assume a 2nd intruder, wait for PD to arrive. Do not focus solely on the prone intruder.
  6. Communicate to disptacher - may have to yell at the phone on the floor.
  7. Do NOT engage in converstation or discussion with the intruder. Only issue commands. If they try to converse with you, tell them Shut up! Be Quiet!
  8. If intruder flees (or it sounds like he did) stay put until the PD arrives.

Depending on the layout of your house, if the intruder retreats (i.e. he goes downstairs and you hear the door open or slam) do not relax until the PD arrives. If you lose sight of him, you don't know if he has left or not. If you haven't called the PD, do so and let them clear the house. They can bring as many officers and taticool weapons as they need to do the job safely.

Remember the intruder and tell him the police are enroute. Also tell him that if he makes any moves he may be shot.

To get someone prone;
  1. Get your hands up, now! Up all the way. [inspect beltline for weapons]
  2. Keep your hands up and kneel straight down. [you may need to order him to move 1-2 steps to a clear space.]
  3. Lay face down on the ground, and spread your arms out [or arms extended over the head in narrow areas]
  4. Turn your hands palms up. [check for weapons]
  5. Cross your feet at the ankles.
  6. Turn your head to the {right/left} [whichever is away from you to avoid visual contact]
  7. Stay there. Don't Move!

If you have a tactical light, remember that while it blinds him, it also gives your position away as much as your voice.

Do NOT try to cuff the intruder, search them, or even get near them. Do NOT relax until the PD has arrived, then communicate with them clearly. Follow their instructions. If you have any remote light controls, use them when the PD arrives so the house is not totally dark.

Page generated in 0.03584 seconds with 8 queries