View Single Post
Old September 24, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
testuser

Blown primers in .44 mag? Breach face cutting?

Ok, I took my new Henry Big Boy in .44 magnum to the range this weekend. Very nice rifle.

I tried three loads, but one in particular is causing me a little concern...

240 grain Remington JSP, 1.60 OAL 19.0 grains 2400, Winchester Large Pistol Primer in Remington Nickel Plated Brass. I fried 26 of these cartridges.

I've shot a lot of .44 mag in the last few years, but always with Blue Dot. This was the first time I tried 2400. Excellent accuracy in my rifle, no undo recoil. According to Alliant, I'm a full 2.0 grains under maximum.

I noticed a ring of dark soot around the primer pockets when I was sizing the brass, yesterday. I reloaded as usual and didn't notice anything different about the primer pockets. The primers went in without much effort, but aren't falling out.

Anyway, you guys probably already know the story. The primers were blown out of the pockets a little and hot gas was leak past them onto the bolt face, which pitted it slightly. I fished the spent primers out of the trash. Sure enough, some have a black ring around the primer and a few have a hair line crack on the edge of the primer cup. There are no other pressure signs.

This has me worried, so I checked every other gun I own. All are fine, except for a Glock 20, which also has some pitting around the breach face.

I've been using a Winchester Large Pistol Primer in this gun, with 10.2 grains of Blue Dot behind a 180 grain plated bullet. I can't remember how many I've sent down range, but easily 1,000 rounds plus. The pitting isn't too bad, but it's there.

So, I guess first thing is first. I'm going to need to disassemble the rounds I've produced, scavenge the brass and throw it in the trash.

I have bigger questions:

How do I prevent this from happening again?

I can obviously look for soot around the primer, sure, but once I see the soot, the damage has already been done.

When should I throw out my .44 magnum brass?

I've been discarding brass when the pocket is too loose to hold a primer or if it develops a crack. How loose is loose?

Or maybe I'm over reacting? Will the occassional pitting of the breach eventually destroy my rifle?

Page generated in 0.02376 seconds with 8 queries