View Single Post
Old September 14, 2009, 07:55 PM   #17
BoneDigger

Well...

This may come as no surprise to you, but an animal does not have the ability to "know it has been shot" and react accordingly. They only know they have been "hurt" and they tend to run until they can no longer do so due to trauma or blood loss. We see this during deer hunting all of the time. I have seen deer with their lungs and heart obliterated with a 7mag run 50-100 yards. Some drop in their tracks, some don't. Unless you shoot an animal (dog, etc.) in the head, there is a good chance that it will take them a while to die.

Theoretically, if a dog were attacking you, you would shoot the dog in the head. A dogs head isn't THAT think so a 9mm or .45 acp should have no problems penetrating the brain. The problem is that a dog is a fast animal, so getting that shot INTO the head may be an issue. With that being said, it might be good to have something that you can get a quick followup shot with. Although my recent incident with a hog has taught me that a hog and a 9mm do not mix, I feel the 9mm would be more than adequate against a charging dog. A chest shot? Maybe not so much...

Todd

Page generated in 0.03168 seconds with 8 queries