View Single Post
Old May 10, 2002, 05:03 PM   #3
Dave T

I am hesitant to get into this subject, particularly after reading your comment of, "...hard to imagine in a fast response situation there'd be time for a text book "sight picture"..." There seems to be a reoccuring idea that if you can't acquire a "text book" sight picture then don't bother with the sights at all.

In most of the modern/current training methodologies the concept of the "flash sight picture" is widely taught and well understood. Seeing the front sight on the target is all that's required, not a "text book" sight picture.

As to learning or practicing "point shooting", I will pass on this observation. The best "point shooters" I have seen and known were those individuals who looked at their sights for every round fired in practice. They were acquiring a muscle memory, hard wiring, conditioned response, or what ever term you want to use. In short, they were teaching their hands, arms, and shoulders where to be to hit where the eye was looking. More importantly, looking at the sights teaches you TRIGGER CONTROL, without which you won't hit anything consistantly, no matter what other technique you employ.

Page generated in 0.03270 seconds with 8 queries