View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013, 01:05 AM   #14
new_camper

I sort of know how you feel, I grew up on a beef cattle farm and always had a soft spot in my heart for the calves. You would think that growing up on a farm I wouldn't be effected by killing an animal very much, but it did effect me a little. But as I grew a little older I realized that it was just the natural order of things, and as you stated anything that I ate was something that had given its life. I have only been deer hunting once in my life, and I was 15. I thought that I would be fine, and I was, but after processing the deer with my grandpa that feeling of knowing that I took the life of the animal crept back in a little bit. At that point I made a promise to myself that I would not let the meat go to waste, because it would be irresponsible to do so. Since then I have not felt bad about harvesting an animal for food because I know that I am being a good steward of the resources.

To me wild animals do have a different taste. I don't know if you have ever had any, but they taste more like grass fed beef than corn fed beef. If you are unsure that you will like the taste of a wild animal think about going after something smaller like rabbit or squirrel. Just recently I have discovered rabbit hunting. I enjoyed it more than deer hunting because I was able to walk around instead of sitting in a deer stand. I felt like I as more in touch with the outdoors because I was able to move around more. I also really like rabbit stew. An added benefit of hunting smaller game is in the event that you do not like the taste of wild game, you wont be stuck with a freezer full of meat. I think that it may be a better way for you to get your feet wet in hunting. As a plus there is not as expensive of a "entry cost" because no camo is needed, and you can use a .22lr if you have one.

Also if you are concerned that going hunting will make others see you as an animal hater or that you don't care about animals, just remember this. I like hunting and I am working towards becoming a vet. What is important is that you respect the animal's life and do not waste the meat.

Page generated in 0.03533 seconds with 8 queries