View Single Post
Old October 2, 2011, 09:00 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Can we discuss "stopping power" without discussing how many shots it would take to kill the attacker? A CCW permit does not give you the authority to kill your attacker. You are only authorized to use the force necessary to stop a threat on your life. Whether the attacker dies or not is irrelevant. If he drops to the ground after 1 shot and is no longer an imminent threat to you, but he is still alive, so be it....and if he dies, so be it. The goal is to stop the attack...and if the attacker lives then he lives. We are not judge, jury, and executioner.
With that mindset, it begs the question: If the legal requirement is only to stop the attacker, why not only shoot to wound (leg, foot, arm, etc.), rather than center of mass which is a killing shot?

The O.P. did not ask for moral, legal advice, or the interpretation of different States CCW laws. In that light, if attacked I would and will shoot at least two or more shots, and on the stand will insist that, "...I was so terrified for my life that I could not stop shooting (after one shot), until he/they fell...that is my story and I'm sticking to it."

That being said, if a .22 Mag. is all I had, that is what I would carry and not worry about it. However, I have a choice of many different, and more powerful, as do most of the posters here. And, having seen a wounded black bear shot out of a tree with one in Michigan's Upper Peninsula with one, I would not worry too awful much about it not being effective enough for CCW.

Page generated in 0.02147 seconds with 8 queries