View Single Post
Old October 16, 2004, 08:13 PM   #2
griz

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

This data comes from a Brian Pearce article in the June 2004 issue of Handloader magazine. He said all the loads were tested and were within the SAMMI pressure limits, but some were right at the max. Anyway some of the loads are hotter than what I see in the books, so I just posted my first ever over max warning.

He doesn't list loads for anything below 240 grains, and all are lead bullets.

245gr LRN, 6.5 gr. of Unique for 902 FPS, 7.0 gr. for 936.
250gr SWC, 6.7 gr. of Universal for 875 FPS, 9.3 gr. of AA#5 for 929 FPS, 7.5 gr. of Power Pistol for 921 FPS, and 8.0 gr. of Power Pistol for 978 FPS.

The velocitys are from a 6.5 inch barreled S&W triple lock. I've tried the max load of Power Pistol from a 4 inch Taurus, and still got well over 900 FPS.

Again these are right at the maxium, and you can tell the difference when comparing the recoil to the typical 750 FPS load.

Page generated in 0.02738 seconds with 8 queries