View Single Post
Old September 7, 2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Hardcase

Quote:
I think the military attracts people who are mentally unstable in a dangerous way.
Quote:
i have noticed however many more mentally unstable people on gun forums than in the military.
I'm pretty sure that he meant it in the sense that there are unstable people who are attracted to the military, not that the military is full of unstable people. But I'll leave it to C0untZer0 to speak for himself.

As far as the MEPS thing goes, I don't recall a psych eval or anything like that when I went in back in '86. I took a test, they did some kind of cursory background check and I had a physical. Of course, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, so it's entirely possible that I've forgotten some of the "experience".

There is already a mechanism in place to bar people with actual mental disabilities from owning firearms. Because this is a core Constitutional right, the bar is necessarily set somewhat high. The fact that a guy who is unstable can buy a gun and kill people is unfortunate, but the same guy could just as easily buy a knife or, for that matter, just plow folks down in his car. The fact that it happened with a gun make it more sensational from the anti-gun folks' point of view. If there happened to be an anti-car group that was as vocal, I suspect that it'd be a lot harder to buy one of those death machines, too.

For what it's worth, a few years ago when it seemed like farmer's markets were being targeted by old people with cars, we didn't end up with a ban on old people driving. Go figure.

Page generated in 0.03516 seconds with 8 queries