View Single Post
Old August 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #24
Sevens

I bought a Shooting Chrony Beta Master at the beginning of summer and I've had it out a handful of times and logged a lot of data from it.

I am a chrono rookie, but I still have my opinions -- please keep in mind that anyone that has used multiple chronographs and/or chrono'd their stuff for many years has it all over my experience level, so know that I come from an inexperienced spot when I review this device.

First off is that the interface and instructions are horrendous. I'm not an idiot, I'm sure of this, but the way it operates and the functions you access and most definitely the instructions seem to be cutting edge for about 1985. It's hard for me to more accurately explain what I mean here, but you've got a little brain that can do a zillion things and it's all controlled by like three buttons.

There aren't many consumer electronic devices anywhere left on the market that you can purchase with such a limited, obnoxious interface as what I'm using with this chrono.

Another quite valid complaint is that you have 10 shots in a string MAXIMUM and there is no getting around that. The only way to compute SD in any string longer than 10 shots is to record the velocities for each shot manually and enter them in to an excel spreadsheet with the proper mathematical formula.

The instructions themselves (and anyone who does any manner of serious testing) points out quickly that 3 shots or 5 shots is not a solid base for serious data -- then the unit limits you to 10. That's wholly aggravating.

Certainly, I can see that a load isn't going to be a sweetheart in 10 shots if the velocities are all over the map. But when I get great returns in a 10 shot string, the only rational move at that point (in my opinion) is to give it a 20 or 25 shot string and let it continue to prove itself. Who is with me?!

I'm also annoyed at the way the unit is packaged. Ever buy one of those "put it together yourself" pieces of furniture and as you unpack it, you wonder how any human could ever possibly get it all back in to the box if they were tasked with that? So is the Shooting Chrony -- they make this great little unit that folds in half but there's no way the hardware you need to use with it could possibly fit inside that unit and even using the original box it shipped in is pure folly. When you unpack it for the first time you wonder if there is a serious cardboard shortage in Canada.

Those are my complaints and to me, they are quite valid.

Here's the pluses:
Setup & shoot is quick, you don't dink around, you are rolling in short order.

It measures EVERY shot for me and never misses, and it doesn't give me false or bad readings. I can take lousy loads and get consistent, wild results, but when I pull out a damn good load and fire it over the traps, I get the same, expected, repeatable great results. I have no doubt that it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do, and accurately.

Given my review, I'm sticking with this unit because I'm frugal and I own this and it works. I liked the price and I am confident that it does a fine job measuring the speed of all the bullets I send over it.

If I end up putting a hole in it, I'll have to consider what the parts cost -- I did buy the Master version so the "brains" sit on the bench, not downrange.

If I otherwise lost it and were in the market for a chronograph, I have no doubt that I'd be trying something different.

I do love the pretty blue paint color of this unit. Oh, and just for laughs, I ordered mine from Natchez and in the e-mail invoice and the printed invoice in the shipment, it was listed both times as the "Chrony Master Beta", which still brings the Beavis & Butthead in me to a little pube-age giggle every time.

Page generated in 0.04422 seconds with 8 queries