View Single Post
Old January 12, 2011, 06:37 PM   #83
Nnobby45

Quote:
Does she have a point? Would the banning of semi automatic pistols be constitutional if revolvers were untouched? Can some arms be banned as long as all are not? How about Hi Cap magazines, would a ban on that pass strict scrutiny...how about intermediate scrutiny?

Your thoughts
I'd say no. The police use the semi-auto pistol to protect themselves, and the public at large. I believe banning all semi-autos, which make up the majority of pistols in the hands of CCW citizens, would be considered too sweeping by the courts--in the aftermath of the recent Supreme Court ruling.

And, of course, there's the tactics of the anti-gunners. Brady II, which was just a "common sense" gun law, required licensing, registration, and banning all magazines over 6 rounds. Also, it required an arsenal license if you owned a few guns, and each magazine was considered the same as a firearm where that law was concerned. And, of course, there was the mandatory requirement that, before obtaining the arsenal license for $200 per year, you had to agree to allow the BATF to enter your home unannounced, twice a year to do a search and make sure you were complying with the law.

Not to get off subject, but I'm not sure the anti-s could settle on a first step law just banning certain magazines, and I don't know how the courts would rule on that issue alone--unless the President gets another SCOTUS appointment.

Page generated in 0.03548 seconds with 8 queries