View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Hummer70

I ran a series of tests about ten years ago using Federal, Winchester and CCI primers.

I loaded up 33 rounds of ammo and a given propellant charge, went out and fired three rounds off target then shot 30 continious rounds for group and through the chronograph screens at same time.

Came and loaded same cases with same propellant and same bullets changing only the primers and ran test again same way.

The test was completed yet again with third primer top.

The differences the primers gave was amazing.

To make things worse I changed propellants and did the series again with the same cases etc and the velocities were different again.

For instance lets say primer 2 was fastest on first test, no 1 was in the middle and No 3 was the slowest. In the next series primer 3 may have been the fastest and primer 1 the slowest and primer 2 in mid range.

Thus it was quickly determined that the primer giving the lowest SD with the propellant was the one to work the load up with.

It quickly became apparent that just because I had good shooting with one primer did not indicate it would behave the same with another propellant.

Page generated in 0.02307 seconds with 8 queries