View Single Post
Old May 1, 2012, 08:09 AM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
(BTW, I don't know why he removed the bolt, it is not necessary)
I don't know his reason, but I assume its for "safety".

I teach CMP GSM Clinics. In doing so we have a class room session where I show people how to load the Mosin and other bolt guns using stripper clips. I use dummy rounds but for safety sake, and to help keep students from being nervous while loading and unloading rifles, I remove the bolt.

If you screw up and get a live round instead of a dummy round, there isn't much chance of the rifle going off if the bolt has been removed. I have the students practice loading with the bolt removed.

No its not necessary, but you don't need the bolt to load and unload the rifle.

The guy in the video was pretty close in the proper way to load the Mosin via stripper clips.

I don't load them laying across my lap. While in what ever position you're shooting, I point the gun toward the target, while holding the rifle with my left hand (I'm right handed), I insert the stripper clip, like in the video, I pull up on the bullet with my index finger and push down on the rear of the top round pushing the rounds into the magazine.

In CMP GSM matches you're required to do a rapid fire stage where you load 5, get in position, fire the five, and reload and fire another 5.

For this reason, learn to load the rifle while in position while the rifle is pointed down range WITHOUT getting out of position. Get in the prone position, with your left hand (right handed shooters) rapped in the sling, drop the butt of the rifle to the ground allowing you to see into the chamber, take the right hand insert the clip, pull up on the top bullet with your index finger while pushing down of the rear of the top round.

No the bolt removal is not necessary and you wouldn't do it while shooting, but for practice loading I recommend removing the bolt for safety sake.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02168 seconds with 8 queries