View Single Post
Old July 3, 2013, 07:12 PM   #98
savit260

Quote:
Point taken, however the Glock 20/29 are high capacity autoloaders which offer much more advantages over a wheel gun. (IN 10MM)

Sure, for max hunting power a 6 shot .44 magnum with 300 grainers is a good choice. But in reality, how much handgun hunting do most of our forum members actually do? In addition, if we look at people with carry permits, (me, for instance) I do not intend to carry a .44 magnum at anytime. It is simply to heavy and too fat for proper carry.

So considering those characteristics, a .44 magnum wheel gun isn't versitile at all. Let's also consider repairs and tuning of a wheel gun (got Gunsmith and the wait time?). Certainly not as easy as a modular handgun like a GLOCK that my 14 year old daughter can overhaul with a stick. Barrel change? No problem. Change out springs? No problem. Replace the trigger group? No problem, one minute 46 seconds it's a done deal. Cost...? A .44 magnum cost bucks for factory and even reloading is more expensive than a 10MM or .40.

Capacity..? 6 shots at best. Reloading capability? Slow. A Glock in 10MM, 16 rounds of fast ammo from 135 grain all the way up to 220 grain. 16 rounds that are faster at 100 yards than a .45ACP is at the muzzle. Some over 700 foot pounds of energy. Reloading capability? Fast. 3 seconds for another 15 rounds. There are plenty of boolet options for 10MM as well. Being .40 caliber, which is a popular round, components are available in bulk.

Go swimming with your GLOCK? Not a problem.

Drop your GLOCK in the Mud? Pick it up and shoot it.

Glocks are cheap, buy two.

I get attached to beautiful, stainless wheel guns. Glocks, not so much.
A GLOCK is a tool, a nice tuned wheel gun is a piece of artwork.

Want to shoot .40 caliber? Want to shoot .357 SIG? Want to shoot 9X25 dillon? Not a problem with a GLOCK 20/29. Just a barrel change and you can even use the same magazines!

Want to carry concealed? A Glock 29 works better than a .44 Magnum wheel gun.

So I really think 10MM is quite versitile. Except for perhaps a top bullet weight over 220 grains in a well built, outside the waistband holster on a hunting trip in angry bear country. Then the .44 magnum will do that job just fine.

One more option on these GLOCK 20s that make the 10MM round and the GLOCK handgun more versitile; The MECH-TECH carbine (CCU) which turns the GLOCK 20 into a Carbine. The long stainless barrel really ramps up the speed and knock down power of the 10MM cartridge (close to 2000 FPS for some boolet weights). A real powerhouse of hunting capability; with a nice cheap red dot you can reach out a long way.

It lets me have 2 capable guns with the same ammunition. Another good thing. Although, my .44 lever gun and .44 smith would also make a good companion combo. Personally, the lever gun really hurts my shoulder after a few dozen rounds. Ouch. (yes, I'am getting old).

You've made an excellent argument for the versatility of the GLOCK.... much more so than the 10mm round

I'll gladly agree that the Glock is a versatile piece of hardware.

To be honest.... speaking only for myself... I find the fat grip of the Glock and the back part of the slide that protrudes a good way past the grip harder to conceal than the cylinder of a 44.

IMO the grip area of a handgun is the hardest part to conceal, and a large revolver with the right grips disappear rather easily.

The weight issue is negated by a good holster/belt combo.

Most any auto is going to beat out most revolvers in capacity...Can't argue against the Glock there.

The 10mm round is still limited to the parameters that will make the Glock function.

I still believe this discussion to be about the versatility of the cartridge/caliber.. not the instruments that launch them. That's an entirely different discussion IMO.

Page generated in 0.03238 seconds with 8 queries