View Single Post
Old May 17, 2009, 07:36 PM   #68
pax

Incidentally ...

http://www.laaw.com/highstress.htm

The link above is to an article written for Law Enforcement supervisors, explaining what they should and should not tell their officers to do in the moments after a shooting. Very interesting stuff!

One of the things that struck my eye was this:

Quote:
All you, as the supervisor, really need to know (from the involved officer) is:

1. Are there any other casualties, other than what are apparent?

2. Are there any other suspects in need of apprehension?

3. Is there any evidence that is likely to be lost or compromised by delay?

4. Are there any witnesses that we need to nail down right away?

... From the officer, insist upon only that information that is actually needed right away. Then, advise the officer that (s)he has the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney, and that (s)he is well advised to exercise his/her rights.

... Get the officer in contact with HIS/HER attorney as soon as possible.
This reads very, very similar to Massad Ayoob's advice and to the advice given by the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. Ayoob tells students that if they are ever involved in a defensive shooting, they need to state the following:

1. That person attacked me. (Or those people attacked me). Point out the assailant, or point which way they went if they escaped.
2. “I will sign a complaint.” (I'm the victim.)
3. The evidence is there (point it out)
4. The witnesses are there (point them out)
5. I want a lawyer and will give a statement after I have my lawyer. Then shut up.

Hmmm. Laying one over the other, we get something like,

Casualties -- me, anyone else injured, we're the victims
Suspects -- there he is, there they are, they went that-a-way (flip-flop the first two items on the list)
Evidence -- there it is
Witnesses -- there they are
Shut up & get a lawyer

Kind of interesting that the advice cops give to each other for what to do after a shooting so closely parallels what we're hearing innocent armed citizens should do after a shooting. You'd almost think some people had studied this topic ...!

Go read the article. It's really good.

pax

Page generated in 0.02418 seconds with 8 queries