View Single Post
Old May 21, 2000, 05:16 PM   #1
ThomasH

As I was putting a recent love away in my treasure trove for a while, I brought out an old friend, of whom I would like to know more about! Seems like time to give it some air, it has been resting in that Bianchi bag long enough!

This old friend is a Model 19-3, with a 6" barrel and wooden grips, the serial number is of the group 7K945xx. The number is stamped a bit oddly, as if they ran out of room for the last two digits, and the last digit is stamped more lightly than the rest.

I think it has the target grips, they are large-ish wooden grips that swell toward the bottom, with a checkered section in the middle of the grips that matches the shape of the grip. And, of course, a big cutout on the left side for extraction clearance.

It is not my most accurate S&W, as I can only get about 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 25yds, while with other similar revolvers I can shoot closer to 1". But it sure "handles" sweetly, quick to point, and my hand stays high enough on the grips that recoil is not bad with .357 magnum loads.

And even though I do think that for repeated rapid firing, especially double action, the newer "rubber" grips have advantages over the hard wooden grips, I still "see" a blued revolver with wooden grips when I think of a revolver, not a stainless model with black rubber grips. (Like my awesome 6" 686-5 with it's Houge Mono-Grip.)

It has a very nice 99.9% blue finish (okay maybe 100%), not quite the "bright blue" I've seen on some model 27's, but the metal was obviously polished carefully before it was blued. It has, of course, a pinned barrel and the recessed cylinder holes. It has what appears to be a target trigger, wide and vertically ribbed, but the hammer doesn't seem wide enough (3/8") to be a target trigger. I'm used to seeing a wider target trigger, but I think that has been on larger frame S&W revolvers. And the barrel seems to be "crowned" with a rounded curve from the face of the barrel end, down to the exit hole. Adj. rear sights, with a black front blade that has a completely vertical rear face (not ramped, nor undercut)

As one might imagine from the general condition, it is still very "tight" with no endplay, "flame-cutting", "holster wear", or other heavy use indications. It has certainly been shot, by me if no one else, but it is in _excellant_ condition. I've always liked to take it out, to just look at it and handle it, it not to take it to the range and shoot, which I do more periodically.

My absolute all-time favorite! :-) Can you tell me some more about this ol' buddy. What year it may have been manufactered, or anything else that would strengthen our bond? Or any dirt that I should know about too! :-) Does that serial number stamping seem normal? Meaningful?

Thomas

P.S. I do not have box or paperwork, but _I_ don't care, I've got the pistol! :-) This was not an investment, more like a old-fashioned marriage for life!

Page generated in 0.02614 seconds with 8 queries