View Single Post
Old September 3, 2002, 02:06 AM   #1
Jim March

A completely psychotic load concept, sure to leave the coroner deeply puzzled <GRIN!>

Guys, I've got this idea running through my head, and I want to know if it's remotely possible.

The Steps:

1) Take a 32ACP shell, and polish the rim down so that it's the same diameter as the main body of the shell or a hair smaller.

2) Fill the primer pocket with a fast-burning powder, and put a piece of masking tape over it.

3) Fill the shell's other end with as much slow-burn powder as it'll hold.

4) Put a good 60grain JHP in it, and crimp it in there. HEAVY crimp.

5) Weigh the whole mess. We're prolly talking 70 grains or so?

6) Load it backwards into a .357Magnum shell, ahead of a healthy charge .

Get it yet? Somewhere around halfway down the barrel, the .357 charge will burn through the masking tape, setting off the primer pocket powder, which in turn sets off what's in the 32 shell - which uses the 32cal primer pocket as a rocket nozzle! It clears the 357's muzzle at maybe 1,500fps - and it's still accellerating for the next, I dunno, 10 feet?

A peak velocity somewhere up past 2,000fps seems possible ?

The weird part happens when the coroner opens some goblin up and finds the bullet, still in it's shell.

Variations: there are 85grain and 100grain .32 projectiles usually used in .32H&RMagnums that could be shoved into the 32ACP shells for this application.

If the 32ACP shell is a bit too narrow, a coat of paint of some sort should give it an optimal bore.

Waddya think? Yes, I know about the Gyrojet, but it didn't have an "initial boost" from a conventional charge. So it wasn't going very fast on clearing the muzzle, hence the velocity sucked.

This might work better with a .357Maximum, to get enough overall length...

Comments? (No, I don't reload yet .)

Page generated in 0.02908 seconds with 8 queries