View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 01:55 AM   #20
Merad

Seems like there are really two different topics being discussed here.

1. Should students living on campus be allowed to keep firearms, eg shotguns or rifles in dorm rooms?

Lots of kids with notoriously poor judgment and lots of partying/alcohol living in very close proximity with unsupervised access to guns? I say no way. Massive potential for accidents, very little benefit.

There are some schools that have on campus apartments for faculty and graduate students, those would fine getting an exception.

2. Should CCW be allowed on campus?

I think there's a lot of FUD from both sides on this topic. If this article is accurate there have only been 12 "major" school shootings in the US in the last 100 years, so there's not exactly a high risk there. On the flip side, college campuses usually have crime rates that are only a fraction of the national rate, so in most cases it's nonsense to try and say that students are living in constant fear or something.

I really doubt that allowing CCW would have any affect at all on campus crime, good or bad. The overwhelming majority of students won't be legally able to carry. Many of those who are old enough don't have the money for a gun and/or license anyway. Bottom line, very very few people would actually be carrying on campus. I don't see much reason to have a ban on it but don't feel strongly one way or the other.

Page generated in 0.03757 seconds with 8 queries