Thread: Major re-think?
View Single Post
Old January 26, 1999, 03:46 PM   #22
Ray VanderLinden

It was a long time ago I did that computation and I may have had something a little larger than a neutron in mind.

Still the problem I have is that those wanting to change the PF All tend to be trying to push the limits. Yes a 230grain bullet at 760 fps will make major. I don't consisder it an honest load in a .45 pistol.

I can agree that the momentum formula gives too much creedance to bullet weight. But the Foot Pounds Formula gives too much creedance to speed also.

In General it can be said that the rounds that cause more recoil tend to be better stoppers if all else is equal. (ie. bullet design)

Also to make the shooters always looking for that little advantage in the GAME, will make the PF rule so complicated that we have to take a computer to the range with us just to figure the PF.
BTW a 135Grain .40 Cor-Bon make 1300 FPS making 507 Foot Pounds and a PF of 175.5. Gee, that sounds like major to me. A 155 grain at 1205 (factory Win) makes 500 Foot pounds. And a PF of 186.8 and probably about the same recoil.

Page generated in 0.02542 seconds with 8 queries