View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 04:56 AM   #15
1911Tuner

Topic

Quote:
I find this topic is quite interesting.
Ballistics discussions always catch my attention. Many interesting things emerge for those with a drive and the means to experiment. Sometimes the results are in agreement with what we think or believe...and some go in the opposite direction. I've had both to happen during my "Mad Scientist" moments.

One of our own performed one such experiment several years ago, and I duplicated it just to see for myself.

He threaded the muzzle section of a 1911 barrel...used a steel rod, cut to length and form-turned to match the shape of the nose of a 230-grain hardball bullet so as to prevent any movement of the bullet...installed the barrel into a pistol...loaded it and fired it...and nothing happened.

One would have expected the pistol to imitate a fragmentation grenade, but nothing at all happened, and when the set screw and rod were removed...the gun was fired, and it functioned normally. My duplication produced exactly the same results. The only thing that happened was the pistol sat there and hissed as the gases vented out through the breech area.

Page generated in 0.02231 seconds with 8 queries