View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 02:04 PM   #7
jmortimer

"Some folks attach some wounding ballistics fantasy to wadcutters - but it is just fantasy"
In a non-expanding hard cast bullet, the larger the meplat the better. I will trust expert opinion over "fantasy" opinion on an internet thread. I'll trust Veral Smith over "opinion" on this thread. One reason that LBT design is preferred by serious hard core cast bullet hunters is the large meplat as compared to SWC. LFN is big improvement over SWC primarily due to meplat. As noted on the Buffalo Bore web site:
"This load is designed to cause disabling terminal effect, combined with the penetration required to cause fast incapacitation on human sized targets from any angle. The big flat wad cutter nose crushes living tissue as it passes through, unlike mushroomed bullets that are slightly rounded on the nose and tend to slip and slide through living material. The crushing action of the flat nose keeps penetration straight and thus deep. The hard cast construction will not deform on flesh and bone at these velocities so the nose profile remains constant along with bullet path and terminal damage. Full wad cutter profiles in large calibers (like .45 and .44) hit like a truck and do massive permanent damage. Renowned NYPD "Stake Out Officer" and Gun Fighter Jim Cirillo used full wad cutters in his 38 SPL revolvers because they incapacitated his targets with certainty. See our Item #20D (38 SPL)."
Sorry, but I'll stick with expert opinion.

Last edited by jmortimer; September 4, 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.03325 seconds with 8 queries