View Single Post
Old June 29, 2012, 07:28 AM   #6
WWWJD

Quote:
tpcollins: How do you check shoulder creep?
I forgot about the body dies Unclenick; thanks. Haven't tried that. I almost went that route but figured I'd give the Forster a try since it's a one step solution.

The rifle will tell you when you need to bump your shoulders back; force required to close the bolt will increase / become irregular. Like Unclenick said, it only takes 1 or 2 thousandths to get things back to good. When I started having the problem, I bought a Wilson Case Gauge for reference; as it turns out, the rounds that were tight for me were at the max length according to the gauge.

I could go back to the collet I guess for a few more loadings, but the Forster die's been working so well I'm going to leave it be. Now I'm just periodically checking case length in the Wilson Gauge after sizing to make sure I'm consistent.

I still may have to go Unclenick's route at some point; the Forster sizes the neck from the outside in. As the brass flows forward in these cases, the neck tension is inevitably going to increase as the neck wall thickness increases. The collet die doesn't suffer this problem, as the necks are sized against a mandrel on the I.D. of the neck. There's neck turning.... ehh. Don't know if I'd want to tackle that or not. I'm kind of lazy.

NRA Endowment FTW

Page generated in 0.02974 seconds with 8 queries