Thread: NEW TOY!
View Single Post
Old September 23, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Josh Smith

Hi Gents,

I got some round balls today.

Played around with my new balls, and found they like light to medium weight cotton T-shirt material with a bit of spit on the patches. Odd I guess, but it works.

I found after five shots with a non-lubed patch, accuracy went to hell. If I spit on each patch, it stayed clean enough for 10 consecutive shots.

Here is what I did:

Sitting, 50yds.

I think this is good for a muzzleloader with open sights from a sitting position. I do not honestly know. Thoughts?

What kind of speed do you suppose I'm producing with 50gns of Shockey Gold under a 177gn LRB? The Shockey's in stick form, but I crush it up a bit with the ramrod, so it has complete combustion.

My final comment is that I'm just really glad this is performing with round balls. I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist (thus the sidelock, and only using the Shockey sticks because that's what was included; I will be switching to Pyrodex or 777 when they're gone - can't find real BP around here). I was hoping I could use these and not have to go to Minie Ball. This just seems, well, more fun. Also, a very kind gent is sending me a mold for this ball, so I'll not often be out of ammunition!

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks,

Josh

Page generated in 0.02582 seconds with 8 queries