View Single Post
Old June 1, 2013, 08:31 AM   #20
garryc

No, those tests are done without pre-penitration of anything. If you use a heavy V-MAx or a TAP load I would expect almost no energy after leaving the target, if it ever left the target. I don't know how many woodchucks I've shot at all ranges and that tipped bullet, V-Max or Ballistic tip, never left the target completely disintegrating inside.

With the 45acp we are talking ball park 500 ftps of energy, no real hydrostatic effect there and no where near the energy to disintegrate the bullet. . But with the 223 we are talking ball park 1500 ftps and hydrostatic shock will be a major factor since the proper bullet completely disintegrates inside the target delivering all that energy in the form of hydrostatic shock.

I would expect if an autopsy was done on someone shot with a 45acp there would be a wound track and some evidence of hydrostatic shock, a little bit. But if we did the same with a 223 with a V-Max or a TAP round, completely disintegrating inside the target, I'd expect to find mush along the bullet track and far from it.

Last edited by garryc; June 1, 2013 at 09:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.02357 seconds with 8 queries