View Single Post
Old November 30, 2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH/CIB
...but after it is all over and you are positively sure your surroundings are safe and clear...
Because you can never be that positive. That's why you learn to re-holster without looking, so you can keep an eye continuously on what is going on around you.

Quote:
...I would suggest keeping your gun out until help arrives to assist in such activities...
You'll be better off with you gun holstered, keeping your hand on the gun until the police arrive, at which time you raise both hands empty. If your gun is in your hand when the police arrive, you look like a target. They won't know that you are the good guy.

Quote:
...can you assume your surroundings are safe at that point and lower your eyes or at what point can you lower your eyes or not be vigilant...
You can't assume that everything is safe. You continue to look and pay attention, keeping your hand on your holstered gun in case you need it.

Quote:
...why not err on the side of safety and be very careful while reholstering using your eyes and in some cases both hands to reholster, it only makes sense and I do not think anyone can argue that is would not be safer for everyone....
Why not follow bet practices as taught by all leading instructors. There's are reasons we are taught to do things certain ways.

Using a good, strong side belt holster (which I favor) there is nothing unsafe about re-holstering one-handed without looking -- at least if you've trained and practiced.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03761 seconds with 8 queries