View Single Post
Old February 10, 2013, 11:30 PM   #31
BirchOrr

Interesting

I remembered this thread fron a while back and had to comment as I had a problem I've never run into before. (Had to do a search to find this post again).

I had Remington #10 caps in my capper and they were perfect for my ROA. I knew I was getting low so recently I bought 2 more tins only this time they were CCI. Dumped a tin in my capper and went back to shooting. Had a heck of a time getting them seated properly. I thought, what the heck?
Had several misfires. I thought the nipples were fouled enough he caps just didn't want to seat. When I cleaned the pistol, I had one of the clean nipples out and checked it with a cap for fit. After trying several caps from this tin, none fit correctly and were all too tight. I set them aside and tried several caps from the second tin I bought FROM THE SAME BATCH. They fit perfectly. I got my mic out and double checked nipple and both tins of caps. The 2 tins averaged over .010 difference! Sorry, but that is a LOT!

In disgust I threw the undersized caps away. Quality control issue I'd have to say.

BUYER BEWARE. I've never had to do this before but from now on, when I need caps, I'll take one nipple with me and check several caps from a tin to be sure they're correct.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...

Page generated in 0.02413 seconds with 8 queries