View Single Post
Old November 22, 1998, 09:27 PM   #14
Harry Humphries
Staff Alumnus

Snoman
I suggest you contact your Gov. Elect, my shipmate, and tell him you want GSGI to train in the state. Seriously, I don't know of a training academy in your area. Indiana will soon have Dick Marcinko's school but I don't have details as yet. You can be sure that I will announce the opening as soon as it occurs because he will put good information out there.

Buck
Thanks for the comments and you are absolutely correct - the force continuum is wrought with inconsistencies throughout the country. May I give you the following on conventional training as we are trying to change the training methodology within law enforcement to comply with our AFCQC fighting system that stresses the less lethal alternative to be habituated within the LE student

Conventional tactical team training does not adequately prepare the tactical officer for the "unknown" behind the door.

The team officer is expected to dynamically enter a room operating at maximum speed usually in low or no light conditions. Entry is almost always announced and often without prior intelligence or benefit of diversionary device. The conventionally trained officer has developed a conditioned, reflexive response which is a product of negotiate mentality, shoot /no shoot split second decision drills and the ever present fear of bad shoot agency reprisal and civil liability should that officer shoot. These mental issues are ever present and result in decision delay. Precious seconds are taken away from that officers ability to save his or her life. History is laden with bad shoot scenarios which were the result of the shoot / no shoot alternative - innocent victims who in poor visibility and heat of the moment have appeared to be a threat.

Our alternative force training program comes from the Special Operations community which is tasked with hostage rescue and counter terrorism. These very high speed entry teams prepare to enter a room fully expecting the hostage will be used as a shield often made to look like the "tango" or strangely enough try to prevent the entry team from neutralizing his or her captures as is often seen in Stockholm Syndrome cases.

The officer learns how to immediately present the weapon in a firing position, either primary or secondary, in a manner so as to maintain weapon retention while delivering non-lethal pain compliance moves to control the unknown individual. In worst case should a lethal alternative be required, the officer is able to deliver accurate fire up to ten yards.

A pragmatic approach to teaching close quarter marksmanship from this position in conjunction with delivering strikes and throws while maintaining weapon control is covered in great detail. Through this training concept the officer acquires a non lethal habituated response to a surprise encounter while maintaining a guarded lethal posture should force escalation be required.

Page generated in 0.04471 seconds with 8 queries