Thread: 1986 Gun ban
View Single Post
Old January 12, 2010, 11:20 AM   #17
USAFNoDak

Mack59 posted:
Quote:
The only way to overturn the Hughes amendment is to start digging and pouring the foundation for it now.
The question then becomes, where do we start digging and where do we get the "cement" to pour?

I'm afraid my state won't be much help. My two US senators are a joke when it comes to gun rights. Amy Klobuchar and the clown Al Franken are who I have to deal with. My representative in the House is Betty McCollum who is also a lefty liberal. All three of those people would vote for a renewed assault weapons ban in a heartbeat if they had a chance. I've written letters and made phone calls to all of their offices. Each time I was given a standard "anti gun" reply on how assault weapons are the choice of criminals and how we are arming Mexican drug lords with assault weapons since we don't ban them. I've also heard how the "majority" of police officers favor a ban on assault weapons since so many cops are killed with them.

Now, all of that is a bunch of meadow muffins, but that is the mindset of the liberals. I can't imagine them moving to support a repeal of the Hughes Amendment if they are already of the mindset that they want to ban semiautos. The liberals have majorities in both houses of congress and they own the whitehouse. Not to mention they own most of the main stream media or at least have most of them on their side.

This may change in the fall, as more conservatives may be elected to congress. Let's hope that is the case. Niether of my Senators is up for re election. Betty McCollum represents the district which contains St. Paul, so she is a shoe in for as long as she wants to run. They'd vote in Count Dracula if he ran as a democrat and promised to tax the rich.

I give money to many pro gun rights groups and some pro gun politicians to make sure we keep them in office or give them a shot at getting elected. I've written letters to the editor of the local newspapers. Other than that, and trying to educate as many of my family members, friends, co workers, and casual acquaintences, I'm at a loss as to where and when to start digging. I'm certainly open to suggestions however. Unfortunately, my situation doesn't make for me having a high confidence level that we can take ground and hold it on this one. I would love to be proven wrong and am willing to help where I can.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.

Last edited by USAFNoDak; January 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.02293 seconds with 8 queries