View Single Post
Old March 26, 2011, 11:26 AM   #15
buck460XVR

Quote:
I don't have all 3 of the Accurate Manuals that Clark references, but the one I do have showes that they shot the data with the CUP measurement method, which has a SAAMI pressure limit of 45,000 CUP. The pressure that Accurate showes for 15.0 grains of #9 powder is 44,900 CUP. There really isn't any agreed-to conversion from CUP to PSI, but a reasonable guess is that 45,000 CUP in a .357 Magnum cartridge is a little over 45,000 psi

The pressure I quoted is listed on the Accurate web site as PSI....not CUP. Their pressure listed as 35,022 PSI with their max load, while only a tad over SAAMI specs is still that, over. Their tests are also done with a 6'' test barrel. I believe Hornady uses a Python with a 8'' barrel. While the Accurate load may be safe in a 6'' test barrel, I would never shoot it in a Python......just sayin'. With the many uncontrollable variables in handloading(i.e. scale accuracy, seating depth variance and firearm), in today's lawsuit happy society, I'm surprised anyone suggests a max load over SAAMI specs. Folks need to look at more than just the max load recipe when deciding what is safe in their gun. That is why I always suggest at least 3 different sources of reference before attempting development of a new load.

Last edited by buck460XVR; March 27, 2011 at 08:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.02909 seconds with 8 queries