View Single Post
Old April 29, 2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Machineguntony

How delicate are silencer internals

I have a 45 silencer, which I forget the brand, which I clean after every shooting, which is usually about 200 rounds.

I also have a 9mm silencer that I run on an MP5. I couldn't take it apart to clean because I didn't have the tools to open it (it is a pistol can that is rated full auto). Usually with this brand of silencer, the booster is used to unscrew the top of the silencer, but in this case, the dealer forgot to order the booster for me, so I had been using the three lug mount for the MP5 to run the silencer.

Without a way to open the silencer, I had been using it for about a month, for a total of about 3000 rounds total. That number is a guess, as in a month, I have gone through about 10 boxes of 1000 Berrys bullets, and I kinda hate running the suppressor, so I only use it maybe 1/3 of the time.

Bottom line...I finally figure a way to get the silencer open, and the baffles are totally stuck, almost like they're welded to the can's body. I get a 5/8 inch wooden dowel and use it and a mallet to hammer the beejezus out of the baffles to get them out. Did I damage the baffles in any way? They look sort of fragile, and I'm surprised they weren't crushed from the hammering.

Was I better of just leaving it dirty? I heard that for a rifle can, the high pressure self cleans the silencer, but that this is not true for a pistol can.

The manual says this is the best way to get the baffles out. I can't imagine it is good for the baffles.

On a related note, I totally love my Dillon 1050 with the bullet drop.

Page generated in 0.02205 seconds with 8 queries