View Single Post
Old May 23, 2010, 05:09 PM   #38
ISC

There will always be people that call things by the wrong name, but It will never cease to annoy me or think less of someone that doesn't care enough to learn to do things the right way.

It's like the guys at a public range that don't think they have to wait for the range to go hot before they start handling their firearms because they learned poor gun handling shooting in their back yard with their uncle when they were a kid and no one ever corrected them.

It's not anal to correct someone when they call a Shotgun a rifle or a magazine a clip or a muzzle brake a silencer (yep I've heard that one more than a couple times).

I know that I am not the only one that assumes that a person has an inadequete knowledge of firearms when they use incorrect slang terminology to refer to firarms. If one doesn't know what something is called its a lack of knowledge. That's another way to say ignorance, which is easily corrected.

The same thing goes for someone that holds a pistol sideways or pushes the pistol forward in a punching motion every time they pull the trigger. Even if that person is hitting their target I'm going to assume that they don't know what they are doing and I will find another place to shoot, or at a minimum, pay closer attention toi them to make sure that their ignorance doesn't become dangerous.

Ok, so calling a magazine a clip is a less aggregious example than calling a shotgun a rifle, but if someone called your AR 15 a machinegun wouldn't you feel obligated to correct them to inform them that it is a semiauto (I've heard that one alot too). I'm not going to comment about it anymore because I don't want to hijack the thread. I just wanted to take the opportunity to educate, because knowledge is a good thing.

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries