View Single Post
Old October 28, 2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Raider2000

The reason for a slightly reduced powder charge in a brass framed .44 caliber revolvers be it the top strap design like the Remington or the open top design like the Colts is to reduce the battering effect that the heavier loads have on the recoil shield area of these revolvers & in the case of the Colt models to reduce the possibility of the Arbor working loose under the recoil "more rare."
Another reason is that in most cases your most accurate load is usually in the 18 - 24gr. area.

If you keep your loads under 25gr. FFFG Goex, 22gr. Pyrodex P & 15gr. 777 then the revolver should give you years of reliable accurate service.

As far as cleaning, I fully disassemble my revolvers maybe once or twice a year, mostly to check the parts & to thoroghly lube them, the rest of the time I just remove the wood grips & imerse the whole revolver into the hot water to clean them then spray a good lube like Ballistol into the works.
You really don't need to fully disassembe these revolvers every time you shoot them, just clean with some Q-tips into the creveces & lube generously & maybe once in a while do that to store it or just to check everything.

BTW, I shoot any where around 1000 rounds minimum per year per C&B revolver.

Page generated in 0.03386 seconds with 8 queries