View Single Post
Old December 25, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Y'all are funny. Quain had situational awareness and got clobbered. Situational awareness isn't the same as situational interpretation and action. You can be aware of a group of people, but if you don't interpret them as being hostile or don't change your behavior to avoid them, then being situationally aware has done nothing for you.

Where I worked back in the 80s in old East Dallas, seeing groups of kids or adults loitering was not an uncommon thing. It was actually a big part of the social dynamic of the area.

Quote:
Even seemingly random attacks undergo a deliberate decision making process prior to the attack, and this decision making process projects non-verbal cues that can betray intent. Good SA will make these potentially hostile behaviors quite obvious, and will identify individuals and areas of potential concern long before they enter your personal space.

These signals are there if you look for them, and when you see them, you can avoid them or prepare to defend.
Wow, that was really helpful. You know the key to predicting these sorts of events but aren't sharing? Let me guess. They are looking around, touching ones face, and a change in body posture or movement. I received the lecture as well and then decided to go onto YouTube and look at the attacks made on various people see if these tells were in place or not.

The problem with such tells is that individually they are innocent. The last tell of the change in posture or movement often ends up being the start of an attack.

What I found in looking at the YouTubde security footage vids what that the tells are often not present or often not discernible from normal behavior or happen too late to be dealt with. Only rarely did folks engage in the first two traits before the change in posture or movment beginning the attack. Most common before the attack was people looking around, basically checking they surroundings like good vigilant CCWers will do. I saw a bunch of videos where the person looking around never attacked anybody as well.

Touching of the face almost never happened.

The change in posture or movement always happened because it was the start of the attack, but people often looked around and had movement and didn't attack anyone.

southnarc refers to these as a grooming cue, glance to flank or rear, and definitive weight shift. He also list a final clue of going for the waistband, apparently for a weapon.
http://www.urbancombatives.com/sn.htm

These knockout attacks won't have folks going for their waistbands when they are just using their fists, so that isn't helpful.

I guess, however, that if you have a person give you all of the tells, that southnarc is right in that an attack may be forthcoming. However, the problem is that the attacks are often forthcoming without all the clues being given and that when not in a cluster of three, are often innocuous.

Here is a classic failure of the criteria. You get the look around and the posture change which starts the attack, but no grooming face touch and certainly no action going for the waistband to get a weapon because he didn't use a weapon from his waistband area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlP9-8f5YpE

I have been in fast food place and convenience stores with people much like the attacker in the video on numerous occasions and the folks never attacked anyone. I was actually at a McDonalds a couple of weeks ago and there was a fellow with the same posture as the attacker in the video, looking around, hands down on the counter, etc. He was there to pick up his paycheck.

Have you ever been in McDonalds or some other eatery or grocery store line and seen people looking around? It is a common behavior. Do they often make posture changes? Sure. Lots of people don't like to stand still and will often be change their posture, making definitive weight shifts as they impatiently wait.

Page generated in 0.03292 seconds with 8 queries