View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Technosavant

Quote:
It mentions one case where a man claimed his wife committed suicide and they found him guilty of murder due to the reloads in his gun not being able to be tested against factory ammo, where powder residue would land etc... It seemed a little wierd but then again a lot of legal stuff is. There was no mention in that thread of a case of someone shooting a bad guy in defense and the reloads being a factor in court though.
That one case was a real oddball. The guy apparently had some superlight loads and some more standard ones. The issue was whether she shot herself or he shot her from a longer range. The extremely small amount of powder residue and his inability to show which kind of load was in the gun was the source of the trouble. The jury deadlocked first go, and the prosecutor apparently was an anti gun sort intent on nailing the guy on something. I don't remember how it panned out.

If you use factory ammo, you won't have the issue. If you decide to reload, then keep exacting records, give a lot number to your own rounds, and know what you have in the gun. I'd even recommend keeping back a few as samples just in case they feel the need to do ballistics.

I'm not sold that reloads = you're going to jail, it's just an added complication. If the reloads send you to jail, it's because there were other things that were extremely difficult about the case.

Page generated in 0.04686 seconds with 8 queries