View Single Post
Old June 1, 2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Gatofeo

Wish I'd seen this posting earlier.

I have a mould identical to this one, but in .36 caliber. Clearly made for cap and ball revolvers.
The bullet design is basically a ball with a heel, to slip into the chamber.
Trouble is, the darned heel on soft lead bullets produced by this mould is still slightly too large to slip into any .36 caliber revolver I have.
With some fiddling, I've been able to carefully seat some bullets in my Colt 2nd generation 1851 Navy, which has chambers slightly larger than my Pietta or Uberti Colts or Remingtons.
I'm down to my last few bullets and haven't fired any in years. As I recall, accuracy was not as good as with a plain ball, so I didn't bother casting many beyond the few dozen that I originally cast.
Bought it off Gunbroker years ago. I think I paid about $75 for it.
An old, original Colt or Remington .36 may have chambers large enough to fit the bullet this mould produces.
Because the mould uses Allen-head screws, I would date it to the 1940s or later. Possibly into the 1960s. Though I have every American Rifleman printed since 1929, an unbroken set, I've yet to see another mould like the one I Have and the one posted here.
Clearly, they're made by the same manufacturer.
There are no makers' marks on it. The only name is stenciled on the wooden handles. An internet search revealed that the handles were made by that firm, and provided to toolmakers around the world.
It's still a puzzler.
And it produces a bullet for which I have no use.
A machinist could remove the heel from each mould cavity, and you'd end up with a nice, light bullet for the .38-55, .375 H&H or .378 Weatherby. Be good for practice at short range, or hunting small game.
Other than this, I can't think of a use for this .36 caliber bullet mould.

Page generated in 0.02078 seconds with 8 queries