View Single Post
Old May 16, 2002, 11:43 PM   #14
topstrap

I kinda forgot that most people don't cosnsider the 44's and other straight wall pistol rounds very accurate out too far. They are far more accurate than most realize. There are many other factors than need to be controlled first before the gun or the shooter can take advantage of the increased accuracy the trimmed and sorted rounds give.

I still remember the look of my shooting buds face when I hit that 385 yard Turkey on the first shot at the YO Ranch sighting in range with the Freedom Arms 44. Just happened to guess right but we've shot a lot at long distance targets so I knew I'd be within a few feet of the target. A good silhouette shooter can consistantly bail a IHMSA chicken off the 200 meter shootoff stands with a revolver. I kinda cheat now, my eyes have kinda changed a lot and I use a scope and use that gun in unlimited anysight because I like revolvers so much.

Just like what Steve, labgrade, C.R. Sam and others said, anything you can do to make every round the same as the previous one is going to increase accuracy. But on the same note, I do NOT weigh my powder charges, I did years ago but that was before I discovered having a consistant crimp is far more important than the slight powder weight difference. I'll include a pic others have probably already seen that were shot with the Freedom with unweighed powder charges but trimmed brass.

Hope this helps a bit..

Topstrap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freedomgroup.jpg (77.2 KB, 63 views)

Page generated in 0.03250 seconds with 9 queries