View Single Post
Old July 16, 2010, 12:12 PM   #28
Blue Steel

In my former life as a police officer, armed suspects who were confronted either surrendered or fled. I never fired on a suspect, and the only time I directly received incoming fire was during a vehicle pursuit with suspect shooting over his shoulder while driving.

Here are couple examples that come to mind:

1. Man with gun call. Arrive to find suspect in the street with a Smith & Wesson Model 39 stuck in his front waist band. Suspect was slow to respond to verbal commands, but finally surrendered. Subsequent questioning revealed he was depressed and considering suicide by cop, but was afraid to draw.

2. Disorderly conduct call, suspect waving a brick around and yelling out in the street. Suspect dropped the brick as I arrived, but witnesses in the area alerted me to the suspect being armed with a knife as I exited my car. Suspect was challenged at gun point to drop the knife and immediately complied.

3. Shots fired call. Partner and I responded to a nearby flop house, and suspect located just inside an open garage door. Shiny metal flash in his hand, which was lowered to his side. Quickly identified the weapon as a 12-inch butcher knife and not a firearm. Suspect was challenged at gunpoint, and after some brief posturing he dropped the knife.

I've always been able to avoid, evade, or de-escalate trouble when off-duty or as a regular citizen. Awareness is the first weapon in my arsenal.

Page generated in 0.03033 seconds with 8 queries