View Single Post
Old January 7, 2012, 02:00 AM   #19
vwfool

I know I am about a month behind, but I have very recently (last 6 months) done some of what you are talking about. I had a Type 38 that my dad cut down the barrel and stock back in the 60's; however, the mum was still intact. I wanted to do something with it starting with rebarreling it because it was shot out (slugged about .267-.268). The Hornady 6.5x50 Jap ammo keyholed at 25 yards.

I thought hard about what caliber for about two years. The main three I considered were 6.5x55, 260 Remington, and 6.5x284. Although it isn't the hottest of the three, I went with the Swede. I now have a Swedish Jap half breed with an undrilled action with an intact mum, a Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, custom scout mount, and a Leupold IER scout scope. It shoots great!

Some people may think it a bit odd, but I love it. It was a project my dad started 5 decades ago and never even shot one time. It was the first gun my dad ever gave me. I just wish he could have seen it and shot it before he died. Damn accurate, lightweight, mild recoil, and in a good, easy to find caliber.

I know you said you have several Swedes and want something different. I would go with the .260 Remington for what you are wanting. You should be able to have this done without many problems ( no bolt or magazine modifications, etc.). Midway USA has the Timney trigger, by the way. HUGE IIMPROVEMENT! B&J Gunsmithing in Davis, OK is who did mine in case you can't find someone familiar with the Arisakas. Obviously mine means a lot to me because of my dad. All that aside, it really is worth putting a little time and money into your Type 38. It doesn't take much to turn it into a much nicer rifle you can enjoy for a long time.

Page generated in 0.02821 seconds with 8 queries