View Single Post
Old November 18, 2002, 10:50 AM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

For decades I collected reloading presses, Hollywood turret, Potters, Jordans, progressives, etc. Never much cared for single stations but anything big and old.

The progressive collection eventually reached about 26. Everything from the prototype 1930 vintage Newcomb straightline to every known model of the Star, including one of their very rare straightlines as pictured in Sharps old book.

Though many were very old, progressives were first patented in the 1890's, many were quite modern. Also I at least tried to use them all. I had most of the Dillons, several Hornady's, Lee's, etc.

My favority is the RCBS Pro 2000 and RCBS Piggyback III's. The earlier Piggyback's (I & II) had a lot of problems but not the III's. They work very very well. That strip primer system is great. Virtually eliminates primer problems. I just ordered another 50,000 primers for my three machines. I've got two of the Piggyback III's and a Pro 2000. I'm also going to order another Pro 2000 when next money allows.

There is nothing wrong with any of the Dillon's that I've used, except the RL1050. That machine was just unnecessarily complicated. Had at least one of all of them (RL300, RL450, RL450jr, RL550, RL1000) and numerous RL450jrs. No personal experience with the RL650 or RL 1050.

I wouldn't recommend the Hornady's. There are problems with the automatic indexing and then too a removable die platen is really nice regardless of what Hornady claims about their easily removable dies.

I wouldn't recommend the Lee either.

So you can not go wrong with an RCBS or Dillon. Still I much prefer the Dillon.

Page generated in 0.02626 seconds with 8 queries