View Single Post
Old December 24, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
bernie

I am sure that this is doable, but going to cost you some serious money. You can mount just about any .30-06 or .308 based caliber barrel to your rifle, but it may take some experimenting to get it to function. Get one of the Schuster Gas Plugs, and it would make the project easier.

I do not believe that you can safely get the trigger into the range that you are looking for. But that should not be a problem. A little trigger work makes the M-1 trigger significantly better, but it will never be a 3 pound single stage trigger.

Mounting a scope, this is the fun part. I think it was B-Square that used to make a no gunsmithing mount, but I am not sure anymore. It was less than great, but did work. Griffin and Howe will still do the old style M-1C mounts and rings, and now you can get them in one inch, but this work is not cheap! You can get the information on their website.

Finding a lighter stock may be interesting. I think that Choate may make one but am not sure.

Also, if you are willing to leave it the original length barrel, it would probably make it easier to make happen. If you change the barrel length, you will have to change the op rod length, and for the uninitiated, that can become almost black magic to get done right.

I have thought about doing something similar, but with a more standard caliber, barrel length, and stock, but basically dropped the idea because it would be way to expensive a rifle for what I would be getting.

Page generated in 0.03048 seconds with 8 queries