View Single Post
Old October 24, 2012, 06:41 AM   #13
spacecoast

Quote:
Actually, what I specifically want is to have the rifle scope sighted in at 100 yards with standard 357 Magnums, and not have to adjust the scope at all to have it sighted in at 50 yards with my "extra hot 38's". I was planning to start working upwards from the 38 upper end loads, work through the 38+P loads, and keep going upwards in powder charge towards magnum load levels as I check for pressure signs and point of impact at 50 yards. I can stop when I get the point of aim=point of impact at 50 with my hot 38's and still the scope is sighted point of aim=point of impact at 100 with the 357's.
Bullet drop is mostly dependent on velocity at short ranges. Your objective sounds reasonable (not having tried it myself), but you may want to use bullets at the light end of the spectrum for .38 special vs. the heavy end for .357. In other words, I wouldn't try this using 158 grain bullets for each, but you might be able to get comparable POIs using "slower" 158 grain .357s and inherently "faster" 110 or 125 grain .38 specials. Don't get too crazy with, a 1" drop difference isn't much to worry about at 50 yards, and all it takes to compensate is a simple scope adjustment, which should be fairly consistent.

Page generated in 0.02859 seconds with 8 queries