View Single Post
Old December 11, 2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

If you have an FFL (dealer or gunsmith) you're comfortable doing business with, and they ship by US Postal Service, the cheapest way to ship is to pay them a transfer/handling fee and let them ship it through the mail system, insured.

You will be hard pressed to ship a typical handgun any distance in the US, yourself, for less than $50. If you have to add the FFL costs to that...

Unhappily, too, not all FFLs will accept transfers from a non-FFL.

While shipping it yourself by UPS or FedEx can be too expensive, if you try to use stealth methods (not telling the shipper what you're shipping), you could have difficulties if you have to make an insurance claim. (I had difficulties, in terms of time and effort, with an insurance claim even WHEN it was done right.)

Quote:
That would be illegal. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I'd rather not risk the felony and4 years in a federal facility to save $50.
I won't "SNEAK" a handgun like that, either -- but I'm not sure that shipping stealth would lead to a FELONY indictment.

The regs state that firearms or ammunition delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment. I've NEVER given a shipper such a written notice, but I've always told them what was being shipped -- and paid the extra freight.

I suspect that the carrier would give you trouble, if they found out -- but it if was shipped to a proper receiving party, what would happen if the Feds got involved is less clear.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 11, 2011 at 09:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.02840 seconds with 8 queries