View Single Post
Old September 23, 2005, 08:51 AM   #108
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Our entire society is gadget-oriented. We use technological "marvels" on a regular basis, and a lot of today's tools were things of science fiction a mere decade or five back.

Hand-held IRs, laser range-finders and radios are part of daily life. Why would anybody expect a lot of hunters to shun them?

As a kid, I plowed behind a horse. My grandfather bought a Farmall 12, with a hand-crank starter; I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Then he got a Case, with a "real" starter; even better. Now they have all-wheel drive with a cab and A/C and radio. Even TV, maybe.

Heck, I remember using a crank and telling the telephone operator what number I wanted--and today's kids take picture-taking cell phones for granted.

We went from simple bows to recurve to compound. We went from muzzle-loaders to cartridge-firing repeaters to semi-auto. From iron sights to scopes.

All this is the natural progression of tool-using societies. Homo Sap does that. That's why I say that if you like the old style, great--but don't try to use yesterday's ideas of a "proper tool" to bumrap today's people. Teach by example and explain your reasoning, but avoid the negative, judgemental mouth music. It's the ancient thing from Aesop: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Art

Page generated in 0.02229 seconds with 8 queries