View Single Post
Old October 7, 2013, 02:18 PM   #12
mikld

I was pretty curious from reading about all the glowing testimonials about SS pins for brass cleaning, but not enough to pay the $$$ for the pins. So, having been owned by a large sailboat for several years I had a lot of stainless steel hardware stashed (some large containers of ss wood screws, machine screws, washers, nuts, pins etc.). So I tried these. I used a few drops of Dawn, some of Ma's Lemoshine, and water and the hardware. All brass came out very clean and shiny and better than new (except the primer pockets 'cause the hardware isn't small enough to enter the pockets). All well and good except they soon tarnished from handling and the process seemed more labor intensive (tumbling, rinsing, drying) than just tossing a bunch of brass in my wobbler and coming back later to find clean shiny brass.

But I don't need bright shiny brass. I reloaded many years before I bought a tumbler, so for me it's just cosmetic (I can inspect all my brass just fine and my dies don't wear out). There is one distinct advantage for using brighr, virgin looking brass and that's it is much easier to find the brass amoung the grass and dirt at my shootin' spot!

FWIW, I'm proud to say I handle each and every case, multiple times during my inspecting and reloading. I understand those that want new looking brass, it just don't do all that much for me. Jes my .02 worth...

Page generated in 0.03415 seconds with 8 queries