View Single Post
Old May 15, 2005, 04:19 PM   #28
TomF

Don't start drooling yet....

Hi guys.

I have a set of bullet swaging dies for making .411 bullets. I have two point dies....one is a 3S ogive and the other is a 1/2 ogive. The 3S would be too long for handguns (or, at least for a revolver).

Unfortunately, this set up is more for rifle bullets (using copper tubing for jackets). And, there is no source for "cheap" .41 cal jackets. Not only that, ordering them takes more than 3 month to manufacture, so I am told. Although .44/.45 cal. jackets can be reduced down to .41 cal., I do not have the die to do that. Ordering it could take quite a while - last time I ordered something that was not "off the shelf" it took over a year to get it!

The question was brought up earlier in this thread....is a .411 diameter "close enough" to .410? I asked the "swaging die makers" when I purchased the dies and they replied that they "wouldn't worry about using .411 bullets in a .410 barrel. If anything they should shoot a little better". Anyone check their .41 Mag barrel yet to see if .411 will work?

If I order the jacket reducing die, ordering the bullet reducing die at the same time might be a good idea. But...I hate spend the $'s if it's not needed.

In the meantime, would a 300 gr., 1/2S lead bullet (i.e., no jacket) be useful for sizing things up (even that won't be immediate as I have to clear a spot to set up the press). As you probably know, for bullet swaging dies, there is no real limit to produce a 300 gr. bullet....although there is a "practical" limit, there shouldn't be a problem in swaging a bullet from 50 gr. to 500 gr. (ok, 500 gr. might be pushing it...). Somewhere, I have the code (does anyone still use BASIC?) that estimates the length of, for example, a .41 cal bullet with a 1/2S ogive...just plug in the cal and the point shape, give it the desired weight, and it spits out the length; or, plug in the desired length, and it give you the weight (at least that's what I THINK it did).

BTW, the C&H cannelure works GREAT...I have used it on .50 AE bullets to put the cannelure groove in (for use in a .500 S&W). I have Corbin's cannelure tool, too, but grabbed the C&H one and set it up and used it first...didn't see the need to break out the Corbin's.

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries