View Single Post
Old September 5, 1999, 06:49 PM   #8
Paul B.

On page 44, of GUN WORLD MAGAZINE, Oct. 1999, it sez and I quote."The Silvertips are on Winchesters discontinued list, so they will disappear as a component when current supply runs out."
I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06 that just loves 180 gr. ST's. Average groups run 3/8's inch for 3 shots off the bench in factory ammo.
Let's see. The big "W" in all its wisdom has dropped about 6 cartridges, 5 powders for reloading, and now the Silvertip bullet. Of the rounds they dropped, I shoot 3. Of the powders, I shoot 1. When I shoot factory ammo I shoot Silvertips. Fortunatly, I can make .358's from .308's. Remington and FFederal still load 7x57 Mauser and .458 Win. (I use those to make up a wildcat.) WMR powder makes my .300 Win. Mag think it's a Weatherby. I found 12 pounds at a gun show, so I'm good for a while there but I'll have to find a replacement.
I'm beginning to wonder if Winchester (Olin) is trying to get out of the civilian shooting market altogether? Too bad. I really liked their ball powders.
To answer the question, has the Winchester .308 Silvertip been discontinued? Yup! It sure has. I think I'll miss that bullet. I liked it a lot.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02751 seconds with 8 queries